The Lyrics We Listen To Affect The Beat of Our Hearts
The music of the body is the heart beat. A healthy heart depends on good nutrition and exercise. However, in terms of overall homeostasis, emotional and spiritual factors also affect the heart. If one is scared, the sympathetic nervous system reacts in a “flight or fight” reaction to increase cardiac output by increasing the heart rate. Research shows that prayer and meditation can synchronize the vital signs (breathing rate, heart rate, blood pressure and temperature) of the body. Based on these observations, one can hypothesize that the music we listen to affects the heart rate. Even more so than the loudness of the bassline, the lyrics evoke feelings and thoughts. This is a positive playlist of songs that refer to God and Love for a peaceful mediation.
Healthy Heart Playlist After The Jump
- Popcaan– Abundant Life-A lot of fans were surprised when Popcaan dropped a self-directed documentary last week about God. Popcaan delivers great words of wisdom in the reading of the Holy Bible, Psalm 40-43. He also sings his song “God Alone” over Nyahbinghi drumming.
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.
4 Blessed is that man that maketh the Lord his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.
9 I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O Lord, thou knowest.
10 I have not hid thy righteousness within my heart; I have declared thy faithfulness and thy salvation: I have not concealed thy lovingkindness and thy truth from the great congregation.
11 Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O Lord: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me.
12 For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me.
13 Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me: O Lord, make haste to help me.
14 Let them be ashamed and confounded together that seek after my soul to destroy it; let them be driven backward and put to shame that wish me evil.
15 Let them be desolate for a reward of their shame that say unto me, Aha, aha.
16 Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The Lord be magnified.
17 But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.
2. Corinne Bailey Rae– Been to the Moon-After a 6 year hiatus, Corinne Bailey Rae, let us know that she has survived many trials, tribulations, and galactic destinations with God’s help so anyone who wants to govern her, has to come correct- mind, body and soul. Listen to the smooth jazz outro. Look out for her new album ‘The Heart Speaks In Whispers’ to be released in May 2016.
3. Tamala Mann– All the Glory- With vocal perfection, one of the greatest voices in gospel gives God the reverence.
4. Samory I – Take Me Oh Jah -Samory I sings out about history and spirituality in this song produced by Rory Stone Love.
5. Gaza Slim– Have Mercy On Me Lord- Only God can lift you from a fall or failure. This song was written during a time when Vanessa Bling was praying fervently for a pardon. The sincerity of this song touched many fans and to date this is one of her highest rated tunes.
6. Marion Hall (Lady Saw) – Heaven- After the tragic and untimely death of J Capri, Lady Saw was baptized and dropped her former moniker. In this song she let’s everyone know where she would like to go as her final destination.
7. Marvin Gaye– Mercy, Mercy Me-So many things are happening all around. Recognize the last days as they manifest themselves right before your eyes.
8. Marla Brown – Better Days- Like her father, Dennis Emmanuel Brown, Marla Brown delivers tunes with higher heights.
“So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”John 8:7
9. Barry Brown– Give Another Israel A Try- I discovered this classic, spiritual dub listening to a YouTube video of footage taken at Kingston Dub Club featuring Protoje, Yaadcore and Gabre Selassie.
10. Jesse Royal -Journey-From his “Royally Speaking Mixtape,” a collaboration with Walshy Fire of Major Lazer, Jesse Royal brings us an encouraging song about the journey of life. The song includes a prelude by Maya Angelou:
” Bring peace in your heart, whenever you go, anywhere.
Just decide, I’m taking peace, I’m not going to wait til I get there to make it. You understand, is my prayer for you and I thank you for your love.”-Maya Angelou