We recognize the global struggle for women all over the world and hope that we will all work towards ending human trafficking, domestic violence, child hunger and poverty to make a better earth for humanity to thrive in. Mothers breastfeed the world with knowledge, hope and love; while music creates limitless opportunities for change. In honor of Mother’s day and with a plethora of songs dedicated to mothers, Boomshots selected our favorite mama songs in reggae.
Play List After The Jump…
1. Sizzla Kalonji- “Thank You Mama”– No other song in this genre supersedes in soft sincerity and gratitude lyrics, which places this classic Sizzla hit at the top of our list.
2. Alaine- “Mama”-Compared to artists such as Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, Alaine delivers the second sentimental tune on our list, with an angelic voice and heartfelt lyrics.
3. Christopher Martin-“Mama”-with beautiful vocals, Christopher Martin celebrates all mothers and advises to be proud of mom because “she bring you come yah.” Big up Ms. Cheeny who makes a cameo along with other artists and their mothers in the video to the song.
4. I-Octane-“Mama” – from his new album, “My Journey,” I-Octane honors mothers with signature vocals and the following lyrics of endearment: “For the good you have done, the miles you have run, your glory soon come.”
5. Jah Cure-“This One For You Mom” – The universal cure for all mothers, Jah cure sings out for the Mother’s of the world.
6. Capelton- “Mama You Strong”-The Bobo Shanti shows a sensitive side as he honors the strength of mothers. This represents a masterpiece of a well produced song.
7. Gyptian- “Mama Don’t Cry” -Gyptian has evolved into a phenomenal artist but we can never forget the high notes of one of his first songs.
8. Lady Saw-“Dedicated to Mama”-Lady Saw shows her versatility as an artist as she sings to her mother resting in power. Anyone who has lost their mother can relate to this song and gain strength to soothe the soul from the lyrical content.
9. Konshens- “Don’t Diss Mama” – a conscious tune about the importance of always showing honor and respect to mothers.
10. Bounty Killer- “Mama’s Love” – The War Lord has a tender spot for mothers with several song dedications. We love his delivery in this tribute to his late mother, Miss Ivy Williams.
11. Dennis Emmanuel Brown – “Song My Mother Used To Sing” – Dennis Brown sings thought provoking lyrics about his single mother and their reliance on the Almighty God.
12. Vybz Kartel – “Mama” – A touching dedication to the World Boss’ number one queen, “Mama.”
We commend all the artists on the list for including the struggles and hardships as well as the good times and rewards that comes with motherhood in their lyrics. We remember the mothers who have passed on with sincere condolences. We salute all the “Mamas” of the world, those who have birthed children, those who have adopted children under their wings and the extended mothers-grandmothers, godmothers, aunties, educators, mentors, care givers, nurses, spiritual mothers and neighbors. We thank you for mothering your children and community.